Thursday, December 3, 2009
i repeatedly set off my smoke alarm tonight, even though the apartment never seemed smoky. something about roasting at 450 degrees must have made it unhappy. the results were quite tasty, accompanied with parmesan polenta & broccoli. for dessert, i modified an applesauce spice cake recipe by swapping out half the flour for whole wheat, adding dates, and inventing a maple orange ginger glaze to replace the cream cheese frosting the recipe called for.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
2. i am hopelessly in love with howard roark. ex: read the fountainhead.
3. i am a little obsessed with linguistics. ex: on language column by william safire/nytimes.
4. i get really annoyed when i finish eating and my plate remains in front of me for an extended period of time. ex: restaurants/bad waitstaff.
5. i love taking/leaving notes. ex: in class/in the morning
6. my absolute favorite time of day to ride my bike is right on the verge of dawn. ex: riding to work at hilton at 5am.
7. i'm weird about aesthetics in some instances. ex: bright orange labels on wine bottles. drives me crazy. do not want to look at that.
8. i regularly exist on ridiculously low amounts of sleep. ex: at the hotel, i worked 10 hours straight on my feet after one hour of sleep.
9. to-do lists make the doing more enjoyable. ex: my life. all the time.
10. growing up, i had 4 dogs, none of which lasted (before given away) more than 2 years. ex: my personal favorite was igby the chocolate lab.
11. i love wearing high heels. ex: most weekend evenings.
12. the logic i use to rationalize my procrastination is generally always circular. ex: right now.
13. i watch friday night lights and am completely infatuated with tim riggins. ex: he's a babe. self-explanatory.
14. i love my handwriting. ex: see photo on badluck invite.
15. my parents got divorced when i was 16 and i lived between both houses, switching every few weeks. if one of them was out of town on business (frequently the case), i would always opt to stay at the empty house. ex: it was the best.
16. i hate wearing pants. except leggings. but really, if i could wear dresses all day every day, i totally would. ex: texas.
17. i do not like unattended televisions. ex: cnn in lobby.
18. i generally always have music playing in my apartment unless i am asleep. ex: emily haines, currently.
19. i love open windows. ex: my apt every summer.
20. my favorite flowers solely based on scent are lavender, lilies, geraniums, and paperwhites. ex: when i was born, there were 100 stems of stargazer lilies.
21. i drink several cups of coffee/tea daily. ex: right now, rooibos.
22. i love vegetables ex: swiss chard.
23. i used to have a beautiful garden in dallas with roses and hydrangea in the spring and hibiscus and zinnia in the summer. i miss it. ex: 800 canal.
24. i love playing card games, but i can rarely remember the rules. ex: gin rummy.
25. when i used to print photos in high school, i saved all of my test strips and made a giant tree in my bedroom. ex: it was amazing.
Friday, January 23, 2009
1. remember me as a time of day (explosions in the sky)
2. through the backyards of our neighbors (au revoir simone)
3. strange and beautiful (aqualung)
4. tekno love song (cocorosie)
5. gang bang suicide (kevin drew)
6. i felt your shape (mount eerie-11.16.03 kerckhoff grand salon)
7. d.a.r.l.i.n.g. (beach house)
8. if (islands)
9. cause=time (broken social scene)
10. she wants to play hearts (ryan adams)
11. summer in the city (regina spektor)
12. this room (the notwist)
13. i want to hold your hand (t.v. carpio)
14. roll on (dntel feat. jenny lewis)
15. i do what i want, when i want (xiu xiu)
16. free (cat power)
17. foundations (kate nash-metronomy remix)
18. bella ciao (mirah & the black cat orchestra)
19. i know i know (sondre lerche)
20. safe + broken (styrofoam)
21. just wait till next year (john maus)
22. all the pretty girls go to the city (spoon)
23. wordless chorus (my morning jacket)
24. baby's on fire (brian eno)
25. arrest yourself (hot chip)
26. hot hot summer night (chris staples)
27. all day and all of the night (the kinks)
28. beautiful sorta (ryan adams & the cardinals)
29. soma (the strokes)
30. sex on fire (kings of leon)
3-. bend and break (keane)
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Friday, January 9, 2009
Will Oprah Bring Down Blue Corn Chips?
Talk-Show Queen Pins Weight Gain Partly on Ostensibly Healthful Snack
CHICAGO (AdAge.com) -- An endorsement from Oprah Winfrey can make even a fledgling product a household name. But what if the daytime-talk-show empress turns on one?
Hain Celestial and other makers of blue corn chips may find themselves in an inadvertent field test in the coming months. Kicking off her 2009 season this week, Ms. Winfrey, who has connected with millions of American women with her struggles to control her weight, announced that she has gained 40 pounds. She blamed a thyroid condition, lack of exercise and the ostensibly healthful snack.
"My drug of choice used to be potato chips," she said. "Now this year, it was organic, multigrain blue chips -- but a bag of them. So you eat a bag of those a day and see what happens if you're not working out."
Ms. Winfrey held a bag of Hain Celestial's Garden of Eatin' blue corn chips on set as a prop, albeit with her hand obscuring the brand name.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
taximan: yeah, i know. i've taken you before. last time you had more groceries.
me (embarrassed): oh! i remember you. that was in the fall, right? yes, i was making winter soup...lots of produce. anyway, good memory.
taximan: thanks. how have you been?